What is the third stage of suffering? What can I do during it?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
The third stage of suffering comes when you feel that you must take action, either to heal or to strike out against the attacker or to lend a hand to other victims. Many possibilities unfold. Some choices keep suffering going; others alleviate it.

Before talking about the deep roots of suffering, we should pause over the choices that everyone can make when stage three begins:
  • Hold each other in loving awareness.
  • Speak gently.
  • Resist viewing negative images over and over.
  • Walk away when a conversation contains negativity.
  • Keep your life as structured as possible -- this is especially true when dealing with children in the aftermath of tragedy.
  • Try not to be alone -- eat meals as a family, allow friends to offer consolation, even when being around others may be painful.
  • Forgive yourself when you feel like a victim, but take steps to grow out of victim thinking.
  • Allow for someone else's point of view. It is difficult to express inner pain, and we all do it imperfectly. What may seem like anger and frustration from others is often the best they can do. 

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How can I have a greater sense of my life being full and complete?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Even in an age when “having it all” is a common goal, many admit to feeling “incomplete.”  Clearly, ...
What is the third answer to why we suffer?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The third answer -- suffering contains a hidden spiritual message -- is very different from the othe...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?