What is the second stage of suffering?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Numbness and tears lead to the second stage, in which powerful emotions rise to the surface, often after being buried for years or decades. All around me (after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001) I felt rage and sorrow starting to erupt. People began to say that they were deeply afraid in a way they had never experienced before. Now the most common incidents -- the slam of a door, a car backfiring, a surprise tap on the shoulder -- could trigger panic. In the ensuing days this anxiety began to spread like a contagion.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How does spiritual well-being affect overall quality of life?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
Spiritual well-being affects overall quality of life, which includes the following areas: physic...
Are love and intimacy paths to inner peace?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
True inner peace exists within each of us, but the very nature of peace existing within oneself mean...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?