How is patience a spiritual practice?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

Someone said somewhere (probably on a farm where they still notice such things) that “you get a chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” Patience is the key both in our relationship with ourselves and in our relationships with others.  God and man, Simone Weil observed, are like two lovers who through some terrible mix-up have missed each other at the appointed place and hour. Life stretches on ahead of us, and we start pacing, glancing ever more frantically at our watch. Where could he be? Impostors, sensing our frustration, approach us -- each with some substitute, some alternative plan. Sometimes, losing heart, we go along. Patience built on trust is the great bulwark against discouragement, which in many spiritual traditions is the devil's favorite way of turning us away from God. Practicing patience is nothing less than practicing cooperation with God's will.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How do I protect myself from evil?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Evil gains momentum—but not truly authentic power—from negative deeds, thoughts, and emotions genera...
What is the third stage of suffering? What can I do during it?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The third stage of suffering comes when you feel that you must take action, either to heal or to str...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?