How can I learn to be spiritual?

You can learn to be spiritual primarily through training your brain with transcendent experiences - that is, altering your state of conscious to focus on a sacred image or thought, through such things as meditation and prayer.

Maybe you got your first taste of prayer before a meal or before going to bed. Maybe you pray every Sunday or every day. Or maybe the only time you ever prayed was in the half-second that your car hydroplaned on the highway. Clearly, we all have different perceptions of what praying means - and what it does. And like many other things, prayer works for some people and doesn't do diddly for others. (There's a lot of conflicting data out there to do with the effects of prayer, proving just that.) For me, prayer doesn't mean asking for a specific answer or outcome (give us rain?), but rather giving us the ability to cope with a desperate situation (the drought). The purpose of prayer isn't to change the Divine or alter what your god (or God) is thinking (or doing), but rather to change you - to give you the strength to manage tough times. Prayer, to me, is somewhat interchangeable with meditation in that it's silent contemplation.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

Are hell and heaven real?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Swedenborg says that these are not places but states. Heaven is made up of people who share a common...
What is the first stage of suffering? What are some remedies?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
In the first aftermath of a tragedy, victims experience numbness and shock. I was traveling during t...
How can I better understand that death is essential to life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Here are some suggestions for ways to grasp that death is not a dreaded enemy but an essential part ...
Why should I pray to remember who I am?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Know yourself as spirit. We all wear many guises and have manyselves. Our ultimate self - spirit, so...