How can I learn to be spiritual?

You can learn to be spiritual primarily through training your brain with transcendent experiences - that is, altering your state of conscious to focus on a sacred image or thought, through such things as meditation and prayer.

Maybe you got your first taste of prayer before a meal or before going to bed. Maybe you pray every Sunday or every day. Or maybe the only time you ever prayed was in the half-second that your car hydroplaned on the highway. Clearly, we all have different perceptions of what praying means - and what it does. And like many other things, prayer works for some people and doesn't do diddly for others. (There's a lot of conflicting data out there to do with the effects of prayer, proving just that.) For me, prayer doesn't mean asking for a specific answer or outcome (give us rain?), but rather giving us the ability to cope with a desperate situation (the drought). The purpose of prayer isn't to change the Divine or alter what your god (or God) is thinking (or doing), but rather to change you - to give you the strength to manage tough times. Prayer, to me, is somewhat interchangeable with meditation in that it's silent contemplation.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How do I continue to evolve?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
When we recognize our everyday lives as the raw material of our evolution, we move beyond our instin...
Are all relationships spiritual?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
Often, we hear people qualify themselves as being "really spiritual," or being a "very spiritual per...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?