What is the impact of community on spirituality?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

The call to community is a call to belonging, to being part of something larger than ourselves, to making of our lives the latest chapter in the human story. We want not only to know who we are, but of whom we are a part. These impulses, driven by our Fourth Instinct, weave the thread of community with which we connect with others and reconnect with ourselves. Being raised in Athens, the city of the gods, I was infused with that sense of community. In the home of my childhood, there was no division between community and spirituality, history and current events, public concerns and private issues. And this belief, more than anything else, creates community. It is neither utilitarian nor utopian. It is prompted by the Fourth Instinct, not in its mystical but in its everyday manifestations: by giving, sharing, and making "common" our blessings and burdens alike.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

What does God want us to believe in?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
I realize that my beliefs and truths will change over time and that I will make mistakes - and this ...
What is the only reality?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Read the following lines, allowing them to lead you into a state of meditative peace. Let the words ...
How is the Bible divine?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
We're taught that what makes the Bible divine is its internal sense and its truth clothed in appeara...
Why is death a necessary fact of life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Death as a fact becomes less brutal if you can accept that it is a necessary part of life. The unive...