How can I best understand the soul?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
The soul is best understood not as a wispy ghost but as your trueself, present in you at this moment. You don't see it, although when you feel the impulse of love, you have contacted it. There can be no doubt that you have a self, therefore to step onto a new level -- that of your true self -- is not actually so formidable a task.
William Stillman
Health Education

You can best understand the soul by thinking of it as your true self. Its composition is derived from the same joyful, awesome substance as the source of our creation, or God. When we are conceived, the soul begins a union with our physical incarnation—an earthly masquerade that will house the soul for the duration of our human experience. This conjoinment between body and soul is a process unique to each individual who experiences it. Some never feel quite comfortable in their own bodies, and others seem to swoop in early on with the clarity of purpose and then quickly exit once that purpose is fulfilled.

This may best be exemplified by the amazing children (we occasionally read about or see on the news), who have a predestined mission to complete—be it as “teachers” for those around them, or because of a service they offer others. If you pay attention, oftentimes they die at a very tender age, having fulfilled their soul’s purpose. Our challenge in understanding the soul is to negotiate its alignment with an imperfect body and a flawed environment in order to conduct the soul’s business in human form—no easy feat, and a task that can manifest over many cycles depending upon the relationship between body and soul.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
Where do the ways of the spirit originate?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
In spiritual terms, consciousness begins with the soul. It is pure awareness, all encompassing, sile...
Can I understand anyone as myself?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Human nature is handed out one person at a time, yet we all share it. Ego tries to ignore the second...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?