How do I recover the soul?

William Stillman
Health Education Specialist

There is no need to “recover” the soul because your soul never left you; it is an invisible and ethereal counterpart to your human form that is infused throughout every cell of your body since birth. Once your body expires, your soul releases itself and returns to a state of vibrational energy once again, taking with it the affectations of all that it experienced in the form of your personhood.

Perhaps your question is better rephrased as, “How do I find my soul?” That is a process that requires genuine and sincere commitment. The process usually occurs through a path of enlightenment including prayer, meditation, selfless acts, and contributing something of value to the world with humility and grace.

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine Specialist

Recovering the soul is a journey from one circle of awareness to the next. Expansion of consciousness doesn't take you anywhere. You may have a life-changing insight on a Friday or in a specific place like Chicago or Jerusalem. But these are only bits of the passing scenery. The highest realms in which you live are nowhere and everywhere. The edges of time and space are hard when viewed from the inner circle, where the body strives to exist. The edges get softer in the domain of art and music, softer still in the domain of love.

Jesus described the journey with such beautiful conciseness when he said that freedom means "being in the world but not of it." Equally beautiful is the teaching of the Upanishads, which say that for someone in ignorance, experience is like writing in stone; for someone who has begun to know spirit, experience is like writing in water; for someone who is liberated, experience is like writing in air.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
How can I spend time with God?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Well, there are several ways of doing this. The first is just to be open to his presence. Notice the...
Why is charity important to spiritual growth?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
Transcending ourselves -- our problems, cares and fears, but also our pleasures, hopes and joys -- i...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?