How do I play an active role in my spiritual education?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

It's easy to become complacent and intellectually lazy. Don't take everything your minister, priest, rabbi, or imam says at face value. Go to the source yourself. Read the sacred texts of your tradition. See what they really say. Look for where they speak to you directly. Let them stimulate you to think, to question, to rejoice, and to love.

Broaden your understanding of how God has revealed him/herself in the world by going to a religious service of a faith other than the one you were born into. Read their literature, sing their songs, see a dimension of God that you never imagined. Look specifically for places of overlap and similarity. Embrace the variety of forms of universal truth and try to remain open to ideas that could expand or enrich your connection with the singular divinity behind the manifest diversity.

Finally, pray. Allow your prayer to come from your innermost being, unencumbered by selfish desire. Let it be a prayer of gratitude, praise, surrender, and trust. Ask that you may become a vessel of divine light and your relationships a means of spreading that light in the world.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How does Sufism define God?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Sufism, the mystical branch of the Muslim faith, was popularized by the thirteenth-century poet, Rum...
Why should I be thankful for my body?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Most of us go to work, eat, sleep and live our entire lives without thanking our body for the mi...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?