How does Sufism define God?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Sufism, the mystical branch of the Muslim faith, was popularized by the thirteenth-century poet, Rumi who focused on falling in love with the divine. This idea of God as the "beloved" was a new concept for me. I'd always thought I "loved" God, but it was definitely from a respectful distance. It was sort of like the relationship you had with your high school principal. You admired her, you had affection for her, and you were a little bit afraid of her. It was not the sort of adoration that Rumi spoke of.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How is service necessary for my spiritual development?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Here’s a quick exercise that demonstrates why we need to give back for receiving this gift of prana:...
How can I heal universal human suffering?
Richard WalshRichard Walsh
If you are asking this question you are obviously a loving, compassionate, and caring individual. Th...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?