Does religion create faith or fear?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Religion today tends to be based on fear - fear of the unknown, fear of "the other," and fear of who we truly are. Rather than addressing their insecurities, it enables fearful people to claim salvation and continue to act with hatred. They point to the faults of others to avoid dealing with their own. There's a cool word I just learned that describes this exactly: antinomianism. It means "using God's grace as an excuse to sin."

Any doctrine can be twisted to make its followers feel superior and elect. In fact, when interpreted rigidly, most religions do claim to have exclusive access to the divine. The beauty of this language is that it makes the follower feel special. And indeed we are special. All of us. As we evolve, we understand that God invites each one of us to specialness. He just uses varied languages and a different voice to reach different ears.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it. Some experts describe it as a belief in something bigger tha...
What is living from the inside out?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
I have come to see that the path to one's true Self comes from living from the inside out. It is...
How can I find my passion in life?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
One way to find the calling within is to explore the following questions. What is my most grandio...
How Do Rituals Like Chanting Contribute to Healing?