How do I continue to evolve?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education
When we recognize our everyday lives as the raw material of our evolution, we move beyond our instinct for survival and self-assertion, beyond even the timeless ecstasy of physical union, and begin to listen to our Fourth Instinct. When hurt, we learn to forgive; when angry, to seek peace. We must choose -- not wait -- to evolve.

At first, our choices may seem strange. We may be as awkward at our new decision-making as two-year-olds at ballet class. We may leap only to fall, turn and spin only to get dizzy. But discouragement, giving in to the inevitable disappointments, is the only real enemy; endurance, the ultimate ally. Evolution, like fearlessness, is about getting up one more time than you fall down, juggling the balls in the air one more time than you let them drop. And even the most expert juggler will still occasionally drop the ball. The more uncomfortable we are with dropping balls, the more judgmental of ourselves every time we make a mistake, the harder the journey will be. There may be electrifying breakthroughs, but it is in the quiet, daily persistence of practicing that we will master the art of choosing to evolve.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
5 Health Benefits of Spirituality
There is no single definition for spirituality, nor is there a single way to practice it—spirituality means different things to different people and e...
How can I spend time with God?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
You can spend time with God through each moment of every day if you are conscious and aware of God's...
Why is it impossible not to lead a spiritual life?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
At a deep level, it's impossible not to lead a spiritual life. You and I are as deeply engaged in ma...
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?