How do I continue to evolve?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education
When we recognize our everyday lives as the raw material of our evolution, we move beyond our instinct for survival and self-assertion, beyond even the timeless ecstasy of physical union, and begin to listen to our Fourth Instinct. When hurt, we learn to forgive; when angry, to seek peace. We must choose -- not wait -- to evolve.

At first, our choices may seem strange. We may be as awkward at our new decision-making as two-year-olds at ballet class. We may leap only to fall, turn and spin only to get dizzy. But discouragement, giving in to the inevitable disappointments, is the only real enemy; endurance, the ultimate ally. Evolution, like fearlessness, is about getting up one more time than you fall down, juggling the balls in the air one more time than you let them drop. And even the most expert juggler will still occasionally drop the ball. The more uncomfortable we are with dropping balls, the more judgmental of ourselves every time we make a mistake, the harder the journey will be. There may be electrifying breakthroughs, but it is in the quiet, daily persistence of practicing that we will master the art of choosing to evolve.

Continue Learning about Spirituality and Religion

What happens if I ask the universe to listen?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
You are surrounded by infinite intelligence, which is available every moment. Begin to draw upon it ...
What is the impact of community on spirituality?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
The call to community is a call to belonging, to being part of something larger than ourselves, to m...
How does religion help in shaping me to become nice and perfect?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Religion encourages us to have only pure thoughts and do only good deeds. Need I remind you of the T...
Are all relationships spiritual?
Arlene Feuerberg-IsaacsArlene Feuerberg-Isaacs
This depends on how you pesonally define "spiritual." However, being connected to another individual...