How can I use spirituality to solve real-life issues?

It's one thing to say you're spiritual, and it's one thing to go to church regularly. The real test of your spirituality is to apply it skillfully when you need it to solve real-life issues. That is, can you think before you think? Can you use things like deep breathing, meditation, and prayer to help you be humble, compassionate, and empathetic when you're under high stress or when you have a family crisis? That ability and skill is really at the heart of what transcendence is all about. So what do you do? It means doing things like counting to 10 before overreacting with emotion in an argument with a spouse or family member. It means slowing down the thought process to really think through problems and conflicts and use your authentic being to address issues. It means asking yourself not what your spiritual leader of choice would do about a conflict, but what would they feel about this challenge.
You want to tap into your heart more than control a behavior. And it means taking an issue one step further than its surface-level solution. So, for example, if a child is starting to get bad grades at school, the reaction should be to try to find out what else is going on in the child's life.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Spiritual Therapies

How can I achieve spiritual balance?
Jan CampbellJan Campbell
To achieve spiritual balance, take some down time each day to reflect on the things that are imp...
What are the health benefits of prayer?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
A Duke study of a group of 4,000 people over age 64 found that those who prayed regularly had signif...
What can I do to promote feelings of zen?
Andy PuddicombeAndy Puddicombe
Meditation is one of the best ways to promote feelings of zen, but there are other rituals that can ...
What Is Synchrodestiny?
What Is Synchrodestiny?