How will connecting with nature make me healthier?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
We have such an interesting relationship with nature. We live as if we are separate from nature. Sometimes it is as if we are afraid of nature because it is one thing we know we can't control. Other cultures know that we are one with nature. The Native Americans, the Asians, the Indians, the Africans - all believe our body systems are directly connected to the seasons of the year and the daily weather. These cultures have great respect for nature and the power she exerts within our bodies and around us at every moment. These cultures know that when we destroy our natural environment we destroy our inner bodies. Our planet is the macro system of nature and our bodies reflect the micro system of exactly the same processes, elements, and chemicals. We are wonderfully and intricately woven together. Our bodies occupy a tiny short cycle of life within the greater dynamic cycle of life of the planets and our solar system.

Our diseases - physically, emotionally, and spiritually - come from separating ourselves from the natural rhythms of nature. If we are one with nature, why do we think we can create lives that move faster than the natural cycle of life? When we attempt to orchestrate time according to our needs and desires we disconnect from the natural cycles of life.

When you live in nature with great awareness, many times she will tell you what to expect. Many of us have lost our deep awareness and our intimate relationship with nature because of our busy lives or our urban dwelling. I really believe that when we disconnect from nature we lose our reverence and awe for all of life.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Spiritual Therapies

What can I do to promote feelings of zen?
Andy PuddicombeAndy Puddicombe
Meditation is one of the best ways to promote feelings of zen, but there are other rituals that can ...
How can religion or spirituality help me live an honest life?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
We know what truth and honesty are, but we cannot always practice them on our own. Sometimes we have...
What Do Health Gurus Eat?
What Do Health Gurus Eat?
What Does Spirituality Have to Do with Physical Health?