Who is a candidate for cervical disc replacement surgery?

Dr. Don Y. Park, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

The indications for cervical disc replacement surgery are with younger people who have disc herniations causing spinal cord or spinal nerve root compression and characteristic and associated arm pain, with minimal cervical arthritis causing neck pain. This is because the maintenance of motion with the disc replacement, since it is mobile, may cause continued neck pain if the neck pain is related to motion. This indication may be more for anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) than disc replacement. This should be determined by the surgeon preoperatively.

Continue Learning about Spine

What causes pain in the spinal column?
Alvin S. Haynes Jr., MDAlvin S. Haynes Jr., MD
Pain in the spinal column can be caused by age and other factors. Learn more about spinal column pai...
How does the spine move?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Although anatomy and biomechanics of the spine can be very complex, I like to use a simple syste...
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?