What is the sacrum?

The sacrum is an inverted bone shaped like a triangle. It is actually a fusion of five vertebrae, located just below the lumbar spine. This is where the spine articulates with the pelvis on the posterior aspect. Below the sacrum is the tailbone, known as the coccyx.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Spine

What symptoms should I call my doctor about after spine surgery?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
You should call your doctor after spinal surgery if you’re experiencing fevers, swelling, tenderness...
What are lumbar vertebrae?
Lumbar vertebrae are the five bones of the spinal column in your lower back. They are designated L1 ...
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?