What is lordosis?

Lordosis is an abnormal vertebral curvature of the lumbar spine. It also involves an anterior tilt of the pelvis and hip flexion. This curvature may result from obesity, spondylolisthesis, or osteoporosis.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Spine

How does movement affect spinal joint pain?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The mechanisms that produce disc and joint pain are similar to those of muscle pain. When discs ...
How do the bones in the spine stay together?
Bands of tissue called ligaments and tendons hold the bones of the spine, called vertebrae, in place...
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?