What is the anatomy of the spine?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The backbone is made up of the bones, muscles, tendons, and other tissues that reach from the base of the skull to the tailbone. The backbone encloses the spinal cord and the fluid surrounding the spinal cord. The backbone is also called the spinal column, spine, and vertebral column.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Instititute.

Dr. Stephen Q. Parker, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

Briefly the structure of the spine is a series of vertebrae, which are oval shaped bones that are attached to in some areas what could be determined to be a three-horned or a T-shaped network of bone that is responsible for mans upright posture. The structure of the spine consists of the following. The cervical spine, which involves the neck area, has seven vertebrae. Next, the thoracic spine contains 12 vertebrae. The lumbar spine (commonly referred to as the “lower back”) contains five vertebrae. The fourth and fifth lumbar segments are the most common areas of pain and disk injury. Lastly there is the sacral spine and then the coccyx, or tailbone.

The intervertebral disks are shock absorbers which are located in between the vertebrae. The spinal nerves are nerves which exit out of the sides of the vertebrae at most levels through the spinal canal. These nerves control sensation and movement in the various parts of the body. There are also spinal ligaments and tendons that connect muscle to bone, and they are important with respect to being able to withstand the forces that gravity and activity bring to the skeleton.

The anatomy of the spine, also called the backbone, includes bones that protect the spinal cord. The spinal cord is a bundle of nerves that carries messages from the brain to the body. Vertebrae are all the bones that make up the spine. There is a disc between each vertebra that acts like a pad or shock absorber. There are also two joints at the back of each vertebra, and together with the disc, they help people bend and twist their body.

Continue Learning about Spine

What are spinal muscles made of?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The spinal muscles are made up of long banded cells that are grouped into what look like tiny th...
How can I tell if I have a spinal rotation problem?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test for spinal rotation problems (when the spine is more or less stuck in a rotated position...
What symptoms should I call my doctor about after spine surgery?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Patients should call doctors after spine surgery if there is severe or worsening pain, new neurologi...
How can a chiropractor correct a subluxation of the spine?
Michael C. Smatt, DCMichael C. Smatt, DC
A chiropractor can correct a subluxation of the spine by moving vertebra in the spine that are out o...