What can I expect when I see a spine specialist for the first time?

Spine specialists are always taking new patients with many types of back- or neck-related issues. Spine specialists can also provide a second opinion if you are seeing a neurosurgeon. Overall, a spine specialist will discuss your condition, address any concerns you have and explain your options for care to make sure you're on the right path.

When seeing a spine specialist for the first time, expect an examination and imaging studies.

Continue Learning about Spine

What does spinal cord compression feel like?
Dr. Arya Nick Shamie, MDDr. Arya Nick Shamie, MD
One analogy that can be used to understand what spinal cord compression feels like is when people ar...
What are lumbar vertebrae?
Lumbar vertebrae are the five bones of the spinal column in your lower back. They are designated L1 ...
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?