What does the spine do?

Thomas J. Dowling Jr., MD
Orthopedic Surgery
The spine allows for our body to bend and twist into various positions while being able to tolerate loads of our own body weight but also to carry, push or pull objects yet allowing us freedom to use our arms and legs in various configurations. It is the conduit of the part of the nervous system connecting the brain to the rest of our body while also providing protection to the spinal cord and spinal nerves

Continue Learning about Spine

What symptoms should I call my doctor about after spine surgery?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Patients should call doctors after spine surgery if there is severe or worsening pain, new neurologi...
What conditions can be treated with spine surgery?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
Spinal surgery treats spinal tumors, spinal stenosis, discs, and more.
What are the benefits of spine surgery with computer-assisted navigation?
Dr. Don Y. Park, MDDr. Don Y. Park, MD
When using computer-assisted navigation during spine surgery, surgeons are able to reduce the risk o...
What is the lateral approach for spine surgery?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
The lateral approach for spine surgery means the patient lies on his or her side, and the surgeon pe...