What does spinal cord compression feel like?

Dr. Arya Nick Shamie, MD
Neurosurgeon

One analogy that can be used to understand what spinal cord compression feels like is when people are lying in bed and wake up in the middle of the night and can't move their arm. It is because of lying on that arm that causes a temporary malfunction of the nerve from poor blood flow to that nerve and also pressure on the nerve. Imagine lying on the arm, not being able to move it and not being able to move the disc away from the spinal cord to relieve that pressure. That's how it feels when people have significant pressures on their spinal cord.

Continue Learning about Spine

What is the recovery process for spine surgery?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
The recovery process for spine surgery is very minimal and patients are usually back and moving in a...
How can I tell if I have a spinal rotation problem?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test for spinal rotation problems (when the spine is more or less stuck in a rotated position...
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?