What does spinal cord compression feel like?

Dr. Arya Nick Shamie, MD
Neurosurgeon

One analogy that can be used to understand what spinal cord compression feels like is when people are lying in bed and wake up in the middle of the night and can't move their arm. It is because of lying on that arm that causes a temporary malfunction of the nerve from poor blood flow to that nerve and also pressure on the nerve. Imagine lying on the arm, not being able to move it and not being able to move the disc away from the spinal cord to relieve that pressure. That's how it feels when people have significant pressures on their spinal cord.

Continue Learning about Spine

How are spinal discs replaced?
Los Robles Regional Medical CenterLos Robles Regional Medical Center
The goal of spinal disc replacement is to preserve the range of motion in the disc segment.
How do the bones in the spine stay together?
Bands of tissue called ligaments and tendons hold the bones of the spine, called vertebrae, in place...
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?