How do our spines change as we age?

Juan P. Villablanca, MD
Neuroradiology
As we age, the ligaments in our spines change from being flexible and strong to being a little more brittle and delicate. Sometimes the ligaments even shrink a bit. These changes make the spine more vulnerable to injury. The disk spaces in the spine also get narrower, and the gelatinous material between disks can become dry. If this happens, one vertebra can end up resting on another instead of being protected by the cushioning effect of the disk. This bone-on-bone condition can be very painful.

Continue Learning about Spine

What should I take to the hospital for spine surgery?
Los Robles Regional Medical CenterLos Robles Regional Medical Center
There are some things you may want to consider packing for your hospital stay if you are scheduled t...
What does spinal cord compression feel like?
Dr. Arya Nick Shamie, MDDr. Arya Nick Shamie, MD
One analogy that can be used to understand what spinal cord compression feels like is when people ar...
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?