How has spinal disc replacement surgery advanced?

Spinal disc replacement surgery is still an emerging technology. Experts have about 10 years of data at this point to review, and report some good success on replacement surgery on the cervical spine. In the lumbar spine, the success rates aren't quite as high. It's important to discuss the pros and cons of this procedure with your surgeon.

Multiple disc replacements (in the same person at the same time) is still considered experimental and therefore controversial.

Continue Learning about Spine

What does spinal cord compression feel like?
Dr. Arya Nick Shamie, MDDr. Arya Nick Shamie, MD
One analogy that can be used to understand what spinal cord compression feels like is when people ar...
What bones make up the spine?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The spine is made up of bones called vertebrae. The things between the vertebrae are called joints, ...
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?