How does the spine form?

This is a complex process that begins within about 12 days of an egg's fertilization. As the fertilized egg, called a zygote, divides and grows, it becomes a blastocyst. To form the spine, the cell layers of the blastocyst arrange themselves until some form a structure called the notochord, which acts as support for the developing embryo. About 25 days after fertilization, additional cell layers above the notochord fold to form a canal called the neural tube; this tube later becomes the central nervous system. As development continues, additional cell groups form on either side of the neural tube as a basis for the vertebrae. The rest of the spine takes shape when bone formation, or ossification, occurs, roughly when the embryo is 6 or 7 weeks old.

Continue Learning about Spine

How much pain will I be in after lateral access spine surgery?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
Hip pain is common after lateral access spine surgery. Many patients take pain medication and muscle...
How can spine surgery be avoided?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
Spine surgery may possibly be avoided by strengthening core muscles, eating healthy, and not smoking...
How Can I Reduce Back Pain from a Slipped Disc?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?