Why might a spinal tap be conducted on a person in a coma?

A spinal tap is conducted in coma cases if the CT and MRI scans are inconclusive and the doctor suspects infection of the spinal fluid from meningitis or other similar conditions. The scans are necessary to ensure that the pressure in the brain is not adversely affected by the tap, which could lead to more severe brain damage. Results of a spinal tap can help the doctor determine course of treatment.

Continue Learning about Spinal Tap

How does a spinal tap help diagnose multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
A spinal tap (or lumbar puncture) is a major diagnostic tool sometimes used to confirm a diagnosis o...
Can a lumbar puncture help diagnose Alzheimer's disease?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
If hydrocephalus (excess cerebrospinal fluid in the area around the brain) or infection of the c...
What should I expect during a spinal tap?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
During a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), two body positions allow the widest space in the spinal colum...
Will I feel pain during a lumbar puncture?
A lumbar puncture (LP) -- also called a spinal tap -- is scary but not at all dangerous, and most ti...