What is a cerebral spinal fluid analysis (spinal tap)?

A lumbar puncture, or spinal tap, is a procedure where a needle is inserted into a space within the spinal column of the lower back. Your doctor will use the information from this test in your diagnosis and care.

A lumbar puncture can be done:
  • to obtain fluid for laboratory testing
  • to measure and relieve spinal pressure
  • to detect if blood is in the spinal fluid
  • to detect a spinal blockage
  • to instill antibiotics
  • to instill anticancer drugs

Continue Learning about Spinal Tap

Why might a spinal tap be conducted on a person in a coma?
A spinal tap is conducted in coma cases if the CT and MRI scans are inconclusive and the doctor susp...
Will I feel pain during a lumbar puncture?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
A lumbar puncture (LP) -- also called a spinal tap -- is scary but not at all dangerous, and most ti...
What should I expect during a spinal tap?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
During a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), two body positions allow the widest space in the spinal colum...
What should I expect after a spinal tap?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
After a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), you will be instructed to lie flat on your back, stomach, or s...