Will lumbar spinal fusion surgery affect my ability to move?

After lumbar spinal fusion surgery (a surgery to join two or more spinal bones -- vertebrae -- so that they eventually grow into one solid bone), you will lose the movement between the vertebrae that are fused. Whether you notice the change in your day-to-day life will depend on how many vertebrae were fused and the types of activities you are used to doing. Most people do notice a minor loss of flexibility, but it does not affect them significantly. In fact, many patients are able to do much more than they could before surgery, since the bone movement before surgery was abnormal and painful.

Continue Learning about Spinal Fusion

How is bone selected for spinal fusion?
Selecting the source of bone to be used as a graft in spinal fusion is an important decision, and in...
How should I prepare for lumber spinal fusion surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Lumbar spinal fusion surgery is a surgery to join two or more spinal bones -- vertebrae -- so th...
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?