When is spinal fusion performed for lower back pain?

Lumbar spinal fusion for lower back pain is only considered when six months or more of extensive non-surgical treatment, such as physical therapy, medication, and injection therapy fails to relieve pain. Pain must also interfere with daily activities, and other invasive procedures must be unlikely to be beneficial. Watch the video for more information on spinal fusion.

Continue Learning about Spinal Fusion

What is arthrodesis?
Arthrodesis is a surgical procedure done to encourage the bones to grow together, thereby making...
When should I consider having lumbar spinal fusion?
Hooman M. Melamed, MDHooman M. Melamed, MD
In order to even be considered for a lumbar spinal fusion, my patients must absolutely and truly exh...
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?