What happens to the metal hardware used in lumbar spinal fusion surgery?

Lumbar spinal fusion surgery is a surgery to join two or more spinal bones -- vertebrae -- so that they eventually grow into one solid bone. Once the bone has fused solid, the metal fixation hardware is no longer needed. Still, it is usually left in place unless it's painful. If it becomes painful, the hardware can be removed with a fairly simple operation.

Continue Learning about Spinal Fusion

Will lumbar spinal fusion surgery affect my ability to move?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
After lumbar spinal fusion surgery (a surgery to join two or more spinal bones -- vertebrae -- so th...
Will I need a blood transfusion during lumbar spinal fusion surgery?
Lumbar spinal fusion surgery is a surgery to join two or more spinal bones -- vertebrae -- so that t...
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?