What is spinal fusion?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Spinal fusion is a surgical procedure in which two or more vertebrae in the spine are joined together with bone grafts, screws, and rods so that the fused area of the spine becomes immobilized. Watch this video on the procedure.

Continue Learning about Spinal Fusion

What are alternatives to lumbar spinal fusion surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Lumbar spinal fusion surgery (a surgery to join two or more spinal bones—vertebrae—so that they even...
How should I prepare for lumber spinal fusion surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Lumbar spinal fusion surgery is a surgery to join two or more spinal bones -- vertebrae -- so th...
What kind of results can I expect with lumbar spinal fusion?
Results of spinal fusion for lower back pain vary from one patient to another. A good result is pain...
How is the spinal fusion procedure done?
The surgical procedure to join together two or more vertebrae in the spine is done under general ane...