How should I prepare for cervical fusion surgery?

To prepare for cervical fusion surgery, you will need to complete any ordered presurgical lab work, electrocardiogram (EKG) and x-rays. You must not have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery: no gum, mints, sips of water or coffee. You may brush your teeth. If you have been instructed by your doctor to take a medication the morning of surgery, take it with the smallest sips of water possible.

On the day of the surgery, it's important that you arrive on time and check in. You will need a list of your medications with times and dosages. You will then be taken to a presurgical area where:

• your surgical procedure will be confirmed
  • you will put on a hospital gown
  • you will have an intravenous (IV) line inserted
  • you will have a visit from anesthesiologist
Dr. Arya Nick Shamie, MD
Neurosurgeon

To prepare for cervical fusion surgery, have a discussion with the surgeon who's going to be performing the spine surgery. There are numerous types of cervical spine surgery, or neck spinal surgery, that you can have. Depending on if it's a big surgery or a small surgery, you need to have different types of preparation. But often times, when people go to see their surgeon for the first time, hear about their diagnosis and surgery is recommended, they tune out because they're so worried about what's going to happen in the next few months. It's important, if you're one of those people, to make another appointment and write down the questions that you have beforehand, so when you go in the room with your surgeon, you can ask those questions and get them answered before the surgery.

Continue Learning about Spinal Fusion

What is lumbar spinal fusion?
Dr. Henry E. Aryan, MDDr. Henry E. Aryan, MD
Lumbar spinal fusion is surgery to join, or fuse, painful back bones (vertebrae). The fused section ...
When should I consider having lumbar spinal fusion?
Hooman M. Melamed, MDHooman M. Melamed, MD
In order to even be considered for a lumbar spinal fusion, my patients must absolutely and truly exh...
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?
What Are the Risks of Spinal Fusion?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?