What is the treatment for spinal cord tumors?

Treatment for spinal cord tumors depends on the age and health of the patient and whether the tumor began in the spinal cord or came from somewhere else in the body. Sometimes if a spinal cord tumor is noncancerous and slow-growing, no immediate treatment will be given and the tumor will be watched. Surgery can be performed on tumors when nerve damage can be avoided. Radiation therapy can be used alone or in combination with surgery. Corticosteroids may be used to help reduce swelling and pain. Physical therapy may be needed to improve muscle strength and the ability to function on your own.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

What are spinal tumors?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Spinal tumors can originate from another part of the body (metastasis), may form from the lining of ...
How do other illnesses affect spinal cord tumors?
How spinal cord tumors are treated and managed depends on whether there is cancer in other parts of ...
How quickly do spinal cord tumors grow?
Quite often, primary spinal cord tumors grow very slowly and can even take years to cause symptoms. ...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have a spinal cord tumor?
General back pain does not usually mean you have a spinal cord tumor, but you may want to see your d...