How do spinal cord tumors affect the body?

The spinal cord is part of the body's central nervous system, which transmits information from the brain to the rest of the body. When a spinal cord tumor presses on the spinal cord and the surrounding nerves, this communication is disrupted and causes symptoms. These may include numbness, weakness, paralysis, difficulty walking, erectile dysfunction, and incontinence, in addition to back pain.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

Is there a cure for spinal cord tumors?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Certain spinal cord tumors, such as ones that originate from the lining of the spinal cord (meningio...
What is the rate of incidence of spinal cord tumors?
Spinal cord tumors are rather rare. Fewer than 10 in 100,000 people are diagnosed with brain or spin...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have a spinal cord tumor?
General back pain does not usually mean you have a spinal cord tumor, but you may want to see your d...
Are spinal cord tumors life-threatening?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Whether a spinal cord tumor is life threatening depends on the type of tumor and location. A benign ...