What increases my risk for spinal cord tumors?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Some hereditary disorders, like neurofibromatosis 2 and Von Hippel-Lindau disease, cause noncancerous tumors in or around the spinal cord, so having a family history of these conditions can increase your risk. In addition, it appears that people with weak immune systems are more likely to develop certain types of tumors of the spinal cord. People who have cancer in other parts of the body are at risk for secondary spinal cord tumors, as these tumors could spread to the spinal cord.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

Are spinal cord tumors different in children and adults?
Spinal cord tumors are different in children than in adults, primarily in how they should be treated...
What is the rate of incidence of spinal cord tumors?
Spinal cord tumors are rather rare. Fewer than 10 in 100,000 people are diagnosed with brain or spin...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have a spinal cord tumor?
General back pain does not usually mean you have a spinal cord tumor, but you may want to see your d...
Is there a cure for spinal cord tumors?
The outcome of spinal cord tumor treatment depends on the type of tumor and how early the tumor is c...