What increases my risk for spinal cord tumors?

Some hereditary disorders, like neurofibromatosis 2 and Von Hippel-Lindau disease, cause noncancerous tumors in or around the spinal cord, so having a family history of these conditions can increase your risk. In addition, it appears that people with weak immune systems are more likely to develop certain types of tumors of the spinal cord. People who have cancer in other parts of the body are at risk for secondary spinal cord tumors, as these tumors could spread to the spinal cord.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have a spinal cord tumor?
General back pain does not usually mean you have a spinal cord tumor, but you may want to see your d...
Are spinal cord tumors different in children and adults?
Spinal cord tumors are different in children than in adults, primarily in how they should be treated...
What are spinal tumors?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Spinal tumors can originate from another part of the body (metastasis), may form from the lining of ...
Will my spinal cord tumor recur?
Spinal cord tumors can come back (recur) after they have been treated. They can come back in the spi...