Why should even noncancerous spinal tumors be treated?

The spinal cord is part of the nervous system that regulates and controls many functions in the body. The spinal cord passes through the spine, and there is little room in the spine for anything else. If a tumor -- even a noncancerous one -- develops in the spinal cord, it can put pressure on nerves that control necessary body functions or on the spinal cord itself. This can be life-threatening.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

How quickly do spinal cord tumors grow?
Quite often, primary spinal cord tumors grow very slowly and can even take years to cause symptoms. ...
Will my spinal cord tumor recur?
Spinal cord tumors can come back (recur) after they have been treated. They can come back in the spi...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have a spinal cord tumor?
General back pain does not usually mean you have a spinal cord tumor, but you may want to see your d...
Is there a cure for spinal cord tumors?
The outcome of spinal cord tumor treatment depends on the type of tumor and how early the tumor is c...