How are spinal cord tumors diagnosed?

To diagnose a spinal cord tumor, your doctor will likely first give you a physical examination and ask about your medical history to help rule out other potential causes of your symptoms. The most accurate diagnostic test to see if a spinal cord tumor is present is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Computed tomography (CT) can be done if MRI is not available. To determine whether a primary spinal cord tumor is cancerous, a biopsy may be performed, but this is not usually required for a secondary tumor, since these tumors are typically known to be cancerous tumors from other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Tumors

What are spinal tumors?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Spinal tumors can originate from another part of the body (metastasis), may form from the lining of ...
What factors affect my chances of recovery from spinal cord tumors?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The prognosis of spinal cord tumors depends on a few factors. The type and location of the tumor can...
Will my spinal cord tumor recur?
Spinal cord tumors can come back (recur) after they have been treated. They can come back in the spi...
How quickly do spinal cord tumors grow?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The growth of spinal cord tumors varies significantly depending on the type of tumor. Benign tumors ...