Where can I get support for my spinal cord injury outside the hospital?

You can get support for your spinal cord injury outside the hospital from your healthcare team as well as outside agencies. Your healthcare team includes social workers, who you can talk to about your injury. Occupational therapists give you tips on how to do everyday things more easily, like taking a shower, changing clothes, or getting out of bed. They also show you how to use a wheelchair and how to change your environment, like adding ramps at home and at school. There are also agencies who do work to educate other people about spinal cord injuries. They aim to make people more aware of the challenges you face. With their help, you can take control of your life and be independent.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Injuries

When would surgery be considered to treat spinal injuries?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Surgery is more likely to be considered to treat spinal injury if the spinal injury threatens to com...
What is minimally invasive spine surgery?
Dr. Stephen Q. Parker, MDDr. Stephen Q. Parker, MD
The minimally invasive spinal surgery has to do with minimally invasive techniques being used to per...
What Would an Exoskeleton Mean for Someone Who Is Paralyzed?
Who Controls the Exso Exoskeleton?
Who Controls the Exso Exoskeleton?