What causes autonomic dysreflexia?

Many different causes can trigger autonomic dysreflexia. Essentially, any painful, irritating or even strong stimulus below the level of the injury can cause an episode of autonomic dysreflexia. An individual who doesn’t go to the bathroom for urination or defecation in a timely manner can precipitate autonomic dysreflexia. Bladder distension or irritation is responsible for 75-85% of the cases. Bladder irritation is commonly caused by a blocked or kinked catheter or failure of a timely intermittent catheterization program. The second most common cause of autonomic dysreflexia is bowel distension, usually due to fecal impaction. This accounts for 13-19% of cases.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Injuries

How common are spinal cord injuries today?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Spinal cord injuries are considered to be epidemic and costly for modern society. More than 250,000 ...
Should I seek a second opinion before going for spine surgery?
Dr. David A. Hanscom, MDDr. David A. Hanscom, MD
Right now there is an "epidemic" of spine surgery. I feel that well over half of spine surgeries sho...
How Does the Ekso Exoskeleton Work?
How Does the Ekso Exoskeleton Work?
What Would an Exoskeleton Mean for Someone Who Is Paralyzed?