Why do spinal cord injuries increase the risk for bed sores?

The immobilization that can result from a spinal cord injury increases your risk for bed sores. Aside from not being able to reposition yourself frequently, however, other factors related to a spinal cord injury can also make you more susceptible to developing bed sores.

Since spinal cord injuries cause a loss of sensation, you may not receive the pain signals that let you know to reposition yourself or that a bed sore is in the process of forming. Adding to the complication, the nerve damage that results from spinal cord injuries causes compression of tissues and skin. Skin will often thin and blood flow will become impaired, which can both slow down the healing process.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Injuries

What are the different types of spinal cord injuries?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
There are different types of spinal cord injuries. The types of problems that occur depend on which ...
How can my healthcare team help with my spinal cord injury?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You should have your own healthcare team to help with your spinal cord injury. It's important to tel...
How Does the Ekso Exoskeleton Work?
How Does the Ekso Exoskeleton Work?
Who Controls the Exso Exoskeleton?
Who Controls the Exso Exoskeleton?