Should I seek a second opinion before going for spine surgery?

Dr. David A. Hanscom, MD
Spine Surgeon

Right now there is an "epidemic" of spine surgery. I feel that well over half of spine surgeries should never be done. The fallout of a failed back surgery is often catastrophic. A significant part of my practice is involved with helping people out of the hole after failed back surgeries. The common theme is the first operation never should have been done.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Injuries

What is cervical myelopathy?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Cervical myelopathy is when the spinal cord in your neck is compressed, which can lead to neurologic...
How are spinal injuries treated?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Although there are new treatments being tried in clinical trials, corticosteroids such as dexamethas...
How Does the Ekso Exoskeleton Work?
How Does the Ekso Exoskeleton Work?
What Would an Exoskeleton Mean for Someone Who Is Paralyzed?