How are spinal injuries treated?

People who have suffered a spinal injury require immediate treatment to prevent further damage to the spinal cord. At the scene of the accident medical personnel should immobilize the person's head, neck, and back and administer steroid medications to control swelling. Immediate surgery may be necessary to evaluate the state of the spinal cord, stabilize fractured vertebrae, release pressure from the injured area, and treat injuries to other parts of the body.

There is no way to regenerate nerve tissue that has been damaged, but ongoing treatment and rehabilitation may allow some people with spinal trauma to regain some feeling and function. Depending on the severity of the injury, people may require long-term interventions such as mechanical ventilation to help them breath, a catheter to drain the bladder, or a feeding tube to provide extra nutrition and calories.

Continue Learning about Spinal Cord Injuries

who will be on my healthcare team if i have a spinal cord injury ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A healthcare team responsible for helping those with spinal cord injuries includes doctors, nurses, ...
where can i get support for my spinal cord injury outside the hospital ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You can get support for your spinal cord injury outside the hospital from your healthcare team as we...
what are complications of spinal cord injuries ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Spinal cord injuries can lead to many complications. When a spinal cord injury results in paralysis,...
who controls the exso exoskeleton ?
who controls the exso exoskeleton ?