What causes open spina bifida?

The cause of open spina bifida is unknown. Doctors and scientists speculate a combination of environmental and genetic factors are ultimately what cause the defect. Outside of certain nutritional recommendations, what those factors might specifically be remains a mystery.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

If my first child has spina bifida, how do I prevent it in my next baby?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
In order to better your chances of preventing spina bifida in a second child, make sure to take your...
Is spina bifida serious?
 The seriousness of spina bifida depends on the severity of the spine defect and related nerve damag...
How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...
What is open spina bifida?
Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft s...