What treatments exist for my developing baby with spina bifida?

If spina bifida is detected during pregnancy, in most cases the baby is delivered by cesarean section and surgery is performed soon after birth.  In some cases, doctors may suggest experimental prenatal surgery to close the hole in the baby's developing spinal cord.  This surgery is not an option for all cases of spina bifida found before birth and has only been performed on about 400 babies worldwide.  Early evidence suggest that prenatal surgery cannot repair damage that has already been done, but it can prevent more damage from occurring. 

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

What is spina bifida?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
There are three types of congenital abnormalities that often are called spina bifida: True spina...
How can my child with spina bifida who uses a wheelchair be more active?
Regular physical activity is important for all children, but especially for those with conditions th...
If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...
How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...