What research is being done on spina bifida?

Currently, a great deal of research is being conducted to learn more about spina bifida, what causes it, and how it can be treated. Major areas of study are the following:

Genetic causes: Currently, researchers are seeking to determine what genetic factors contribute to spina bifida.Features of neural tube disorders: Researchers are now studying neural tube disorders in order to learn more about the defects.Prenatal surgery: To further investigate the benefits of prenatal surgery and its safety, researchers are conducting a large study.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...
What is spina bifida?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Spina bifida is the most common kind of neural tube defect (also called NTD). Neural tube defects (a...
How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...
What is open spina bifida?
Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft s...