What is the relationship between medications and spina bifida?

Medications don't cause spina bifida in children or adults, but certain medications taken early in a pregnancy can put an unborn baby at risk for developing the disorder. These medications, generally those that prevent seizures, can change how the body uses folic acid. Because spina bifida is associated with a folic acid deficiency, anti-seizure medications can contribute to an unborn baby's risk of developing the disorder.  

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

If my first child has spina bifida, how do I prevent it in my next baby?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
In order to better your chances of preventing spina bifida in a second child, make sure to take your...
How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...
What is spina bifida?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
There are three types of congenital abnormalities that often are called spina bifida: True spina...
When should I start encouraging independence in my child with spina bifida?
Developing independence can be especially challenging for children with spina bifida. Parents should...