How many people are affected by spina bifida?

Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect affecting babies in the United States. Out of the four million children born each year, between 1,500-2,000 are affected. Most children who are born with spina bifida are able to live normal lives, although some experience full or partial paralysis.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...
What are the different types of spina bifida?
There are four different types of spina bifida: occulta, closed neural tube defects, meningocele, an...
Is spina bifida serious?
 The seriousness of spina bifida depends on the severity of the spine defect and related nerve damag...
How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?
Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifi...