How do medications treat open spina bifida?

Treatment for open spina bifida is entirely physical in nature. That is to say, there are no medications directly involved in treating the condition. Instead, a combination of surgery and physical therapy is used to treat the immediate and long-lasting symptoms of the defect.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

How can my child with spina bifida who uses a wheelchair be more active?
Regular physical activity is important for all children, but especially for those with conditions th...
What is open spina bifida?
Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft s...
How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?
Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifi...
How many people are affected by spina bifida?
Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect affecting babies in the United States. Out of the...