Is spina bifida serious?

The seriousness of spina bifida depends on the severity of the spine defect and related nerve damage. Closed forms of spina bifida may result in mild to no obvious  symptoms and have little negative impact on daily life. The more commonly identified, severe open forms of spina bifida do have serious symptoms. These include:

-  Paralysis: Spina bifida can result in complete or partial paralysis of the body parts below the spinal opening.
-  Loss of bowel and urinary function: This can occur in both milder and more serious forms of spina bifida.
-  Mental and neurological disabilities: Among the complications of more severe forms of spina bifida, these symptoms are not common but do occur on occasion.
-  Death: In some cases of myelomeningocele, the most severe type of spina bifida, the spinal opening is covered with skin that forms a sac. In other cases, however, it is left open. When the opening is not protected by skin, the exposed tissue and nerve are susceptible to infections that can be fatal.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...
What are the different types of spina bifida?
There are four different types of spina bifida: occulta, closed neural tube defects, meningocele, an...
If my first child has spina bifida, how do I prevent it in my next baby?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
In order to better your chances of preventing spina bifida in a second child, make sure to take your...
How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?
Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifi...