How does therapy treat spina bifida?

Spina bifida cannot be cured. However, there are many ways to treat the complications of spina bifida, including paralysis and loss of bowel functions. In children diagnosed with spina bifida, therapy occurs early on in life, as a baby suffering from spina bifida has her legs exercised in order to practice walking with braces at a later time.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?
Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifi...
If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...
What research is being done on spina bifida?
Currently, a great deal of research is being conducted to learn more about spina bifida, what causes...
What is open spina bifida?
Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft s...