How can I prevent infection to my spina bifida?

In myelomeningocele, the most severe type of spina bifida, tissue and nerves protrude through the incompletely formed spine, posing a serious infection risk. In order to minimize this risk, doctors generally perform surgery on the spine shortly after birth to close the protrusion. In some cases, surgery may be performed before the baby is born to further reduce the risk of infection and further nerve damage. After these early surgeries, some people will require additional surgeries throughout their lives to control the disorder.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

What is spina bifida?
Spina bifida, meaning "cleft spine," is a birth defect that occurs when the neural tube does not clo...
What research is being done on spina bifida?
Currently, a great deal of research is being conducted to learn more about spina bifida, what causes...
What is open spina bifida?
Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft s...
How can my child with spina bifida who uses a wheelchair be more active?
Regular physical activity is important for all children, but especially for those with conditions th...