Does spina bifida run in families?

Your family's history of spina bifida is one of your child's risk factors when it comes to developing the disease. If you have spina bifida, your child could be at risk of the same birth defect. An even greater risk is posed by women who have had one or two children with spina bifida. However, most cases of spina bifida occur among couples who do not have a family history of the disorder.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

Does spina bifida ever go unnoticed?
In most cases, spina bifida will be noticed and diagnosed by a doctor before or shortly after birth....
When should I start encouraging independence in my child with spina bifida?
Developing independence can be especially challenging for children with spina bifida. Parents should...
How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...
What is open spina bifida?
Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft s...